Raid on O'Connor's house

1920 Sept. Jeune records that he was on a raid on O'Connors house in Drumcondra, and the man in charge was Boddington. They had the help of a detachment of East Lancs. This was one of several houses they raided that night

Jeune charged down the door, but the was no hostile reception. When they searched the house, they found a letter to O'Connor, written on Dublin Castle paper, from A W Cope saying to O'Connor "I am having the papers you require sent to you". Cope had in fact been put into his job in Dublin Castle to facilitate contact between Lloyd George and the IRA.

I assume this is Batt O'Conner who lived at 1 Brendon Rd. Donnybrook (it may be 23 Brendan's Rd, which Coogan's book says was on a list of addresses to be raided, and where Collins was staying

There was a third raid on Batt O'Conner's house on 16 Jan 1920 when Byrne tried to get Collins captured. Later Bryan Fergus Molloy was introduced to Collins at Batt O'Conner's house.

Incidents involving British Intelligence


Bartholemew (Batt) O'Connor was born in Brosna, East Kerry on 4 July 1870. Educated at the local national school, he worked with his father and brother as a stonemason and in 1893, emigrated to the USA. He returned home in 1898 and moved to Dublin and in 1904 he branched out as a sub-contractor building houses.

He joined the Gaelic League in Dublin and later the Irish Volunteers and was sworn into the IRB. During Easter 1916 he was sent to Kerry to await instructions about the Rising planned in the county. However upon hearing of the arrest of Sir Roger Casement and the loss of the German guns he returned to Dublin and was arrested by the police. He was taken to Kilmainham Jail where he was sentenced to be shot but was deported to Wandsworth Jail and later Frongoch prison camp in Wales.

He formed a close friendship with Michael Collins after their release and helped him in re-organising the IRB network and the Sinn Féin organisation. O’Connor was entrusted with the gold collected from the Dáil loan and buried it under the concrete floor of his house. This was never found despite frequent raids during the War of Independence. He was elected as a Sinn Féin councillor in 1920 and soon became chairman of the council which swore allegiance to Dáil Éireann. His various houses were used as safe-houses during the War of Independence and he himself was on the run throughout 1921. He persuaded Michael Collins to go to London to form part of the Anglo-Irish Treaty delegation.

He remained a councillor for Cumann na nGaedheal after 1922 and was a joint treasurer of the party. He was elected to the Dáil in 1924 and remained a TD until his death in 1935. His funeral was attended by many of the then Fianna Fáil government.